Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Happy Birthday, Grandpa

In honour of my beloved Grandpa's birthday, I've decided to dedicate a blog entry to his memory.



My Grandpa could moo JUST like a cow. He did so willingly and was always met with squeals of laughter from grandchildren - until we got old enough to roll our eyes on the outside, and squeal with laughter on the inside.

My Grandpa could (and did!) pop his bottom false teeth out to lighten any situation.

My Grandpa could make you feel like you were the only person in a crowded room. He had this beautiful way of focusing on you and listening when you were talking.

My Grandpa could sing "Paper Rosie" like he was actually in Calvin County. He loved Classic Country music.

My Grandpa loved to sing. You could hear his voice clearly when he sang in church. It wasn't overwhelming or obnoxious, it was unique and comforting. It was strong, and made you feel like he believed the words of the hymns he was singing.

My Grandpa was completely biased when it came to me. There wasn't a smarter, cuter, or harder working young woman in the entire world as far as he was concerned.

My Grandpa insisted that I was "Grandpa's Sweetheart" no matter what boy or man I introduced him to. Even as he danced with me at my wedding he called me Grandpa's Girl and Grandpa's Sweetheart.

My Grandpa loved my Grandma completely. He showed it by playing at driving her crazy and always letting her know how much he needed her. As she goes out on her own conquering a Scotland trip, and independent bus trips, he's somewhere saying "Way to go, Bet".

My Grandpa loved to listen to, and tell, stories about all of his grandkids. We all loved sitting around the table at dinner and afterwards telling the same "kid" stories over and over again.

My Grandpa had a way of teaching lessons without preaching. A simple "Well I have a new little sweetheart on the way" will stick with my brother his entire life and remind him that every 'sweetheart' was someone's little girl.

My Grandpa would have been such a wonderful Great Grandfather, and during his hospital stay after his heart surgery told every nurse that helped him that he had to get better because he was going to be a Great Grandpa.

My Grandpa was silly, he was sweet, he was loving, and he was gentle. Not having him around is such a great, great loss, but I am so incredibly thankful for the nearly 23 years of memories that he has left me with.

Today and always, I love you Grandpa.

3 comments:

Alison said...

Beautiful and touching El. A testiment to his memory.

I'm glad I got to meet him.

Happy Birthday to him... he is surely missed by many.

*hug*

Anonymous said...

as always... perfectly said. Hesling is just such a long process sometimes. Somedays I still feel broken too, but we'll get there.

Anonymous said...

What a sweet and loving entry.